Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lesson 3 _ deadline drawing near

Actually you see from the title the deadline is drawing near, and I might be a bit quicker about this blog.

Yesterday we had guys from AWS giving lectures. Honestly speaking, I lost 80% of the content over a night. Things I remember are "Cloud Computing" , "bandwidth and latency" "abstraction layer (i.e. the virtual machine sandwitched by clients and physical machines)

Yeah , Cloud Computing. Another course I am taking is also talking about Cloud Computing -- Computing is becoming more and more like a public utility , like electricity. (The Big Switch) -- People now dont set up a generator at their homes to use electricity, maybe someday in the future we will not use our own computers to do computations -- we have tons and tons of data centers everywhere around the world, all we have to do is to submit computation jobs to server and wait for reply from server.

What if generators that enpower a bank, or city hall, or the entire city, break down? Things will be getting into trouble. It is similar in the context of computing. Although AWS is providing best/one of the best web hosting service, but still some people prefer not to be in the cloud -- like banks (as mentioned) , national defence(of course :p). They will have their own means for (secured) data transmission.

OK. pretty much for cloud computing. A little about FB assignment.

Frontend is near finished, backend still got a lot more to accomplish. .. get to rush to class now.. so I need to be quicker.

basically we wont be able to integrate payment features .. for now. We hope to have an up-and-running (all links are functioning, things in database can be grapped , etc) and good-looking app. We will try to implement more features (including payment) in Final Project.

Let me end with some of my thoughts. I just came up with how to change "can I ..." to "I can..."

can I? -> Just do it (dont care the result, which is probably bad) -> try to improve -> Just do it (there are a lot of trivial stuff to do, but just make your peace and finish one by one) -> I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment