Thursday, February 18, 2010

UI Again

From a technical perspective, one important thing of UI design is deciding how much freedom users have -- because users can only do with what they see
However, from an aesthetic point of view, make the UI organized, which means simple. At the first sight, users should get to know what this app does.

I guess their first version of UI was too much at the first sight (I mean their homepage). What I will expect is ONE SINGLE input box waiting there. I dont need those "need quick help?" , "set a deadline" , "who do you want to ask", and not to mention the ads -- they simply should not appear on the first page. If I need more options I can just go to another page with more options, if not by clicking some button and the options show.

Oh, no... the pictures at the top of the screen are not ads... They are just part of the UI and notifications from friends who need help. They are too colorful. I dont like pictures -- they load slow and flash my eyes. Just give me text, you can style the text, fine with me. I hate pics, especially shining GIFs. Give me simple art.

But the badges.. quite a good means to get people "addicted". There will be people seeking this kind of honor and the app will work... because of the existence of such people.

That is it. UI is such a thing -- you can make a 90% accurate judgment in the first minutes. A good UI says itself. A bad UI ... is just lousy. What to talk about?!

No comments:

Post a Comment